Saturday, December 12, 2009

I'm a surgery junkie...





I'm hunting surgeries like crazy! I'm actually hoping people will get ill so I can scrub in! I want to see some blood here!

I’ve had my first few days here at the hospital and there hasn’t really been that much for me to do yet. But I am sure hunting! Was really hoping to get my hands dirty here! But it will come, I’m sure!

I’m trying to scrub in on as many surgeries as possible but so far I only managed to scrub in on two. That’s why I decided to stick to the doctor on call this weekend as glue! I am sacrificing my beloved sleep to hang out at the hospital just in case there will be an operation!

The doctor on call this weekend is Dr. Nuwas. He finished medical school 3 years ago and now he is doing all kinds of surgeries, even brain surgery! He is really good. So now I am just waiting for him to give me a call, most likely there will be a laparotomy of a 6 year old boy with intestinal obstruction and possible perforation. I really hope so!! (Not for his sake of course, but for mine!)

It’s kind of special here. Before every surgery we have to pray. So we are standing there all scrubbed in and dressed up with our masks,gloves and hats with our hands folded, praying. Don’t know if it helps, but its just a rule here! No one died during the surgeries I was in on so far, but we nearly lost this 9 days old girl that was operated for occipital menigocele. But she is still alive, but kind of unstable. Hope she will make it!

Really bored today… My two roommates Meredith (U.S.) and Mark (Sweden) were going on safari this weekend. But Meredith ended up going alone since Mark has foodpoisening. So I’m kind of one my own here… Not so many people. So I am killing time with walking between the delivery room checking if there is any deliveries for me and visiting the orphanage. But somehow I always come when the kids are sleeping. Was there today and only 1 child was awake and crying. A newborn little girl, gave her a bottle of milk and then she slept again. So not much for me there either.

Haven’t been able to take so many pictures yet, will do better in the future. But I will add some! Otherwise I'm good and today its pizza for dinner! Cant get any better! Guess they are just making up for the fact that we had rice and beans for lunch! (But I should not complain, beans is my new source of proteins!)

No comments: