A small update of the minor things that have happened the last week. I usually don’t have so much time to write but now it’s a long weekend and I am trying to take some time off. And its raining so I cant go out... boring!
Last weekend I went on this piknik with Clement, Martina and Victor to Lake Basotu. It was really nice. We ate grilled catfish and chips and just chilled. We also saw 3 craters made of meteors and we visited a datoga family. That’s a tribe that lives in really primitive houses. Somehow we picked up these 2 datoga women on the road and drove them home and that’s how we got invited into their house. Not bad! Can’t say they smelled so nice though…
Sunday was the big confirmation day in town. I was invited to the confirmation of one of the anaesthetists, Youtham’s, son. First there was a 4 hour ceremony at the church. Crazy. Luckily I came 1,5 hour too late and I went home to have lunch after 1,5 hour. Smart move! After that we went to Youthams home, ate some African food (surprisingly they had spoons so we didn’t have to eat with our hands) and met a lot of nice people. Next time I will drop out of the church thing and go straight to the afterparty, that’s for sure!
Christmas eve is a day with a lot of things going on here. After the morning rounds we all divided into the different wards and were we sang some Christmas songs, gave the patients some tee and cakes and just celebrated with them for a while. I decided to go to Lena ward which is the pediatric ward. I brought a lot of balloons and pens to give out to the children. Was a lot of fun!
We were told that Christmas eve was going to be the nicest Christmas ever in the guesthouse were we eat our meals. We got a lot of Christmas decoration that we decorated together with the people working there. It really looks like a collision of American, Norwegian, Chinese, Hawaiian and African Christmas. A lot of blinking lights and crazy colors, it really looks like shit but its also cosy! We were expecting this supernice dinner with pork meat, potatoes, carrots, sauce, surkål and much more. (That’s what we were told we were getting!) Dinner was served at 7pm… and what did we get? Fiskegrateng og surkål/A nasty fish dish and sour cabbage. (And that’s not the good fiskegrateng we get in Norway, NO, this is some disgusting spaghetti fish shit.) We didn’t get potatoes or anything. SUCH a disappointment. But we made the best out of it and we had a lot of fun. I got a present from Magne (he is a 70 year old plummer, really nice and funny guy) that said: To Kristin, From Him. And it was this really ugly ring with some green paint on and in the middle it said: LOVE. Funny! Still, I were it every day! Here in Tanzania they think its really pretty.
Other than that its raining and raining here. Today I am going in another confirmation but it needs to stop raining! Cant walk several kilometres in this weather. Yesterday I went to Clements place, watched a movie and had a small party with him and his friends. He lives 2 km from the hospital area and there are no taxis here and its not safe to walk alone in the dark. So I got this ambulance driver to take me in his ambulance car. And more than money he wanted alcohol. Yes, he drinks and drives an ambulance. Crazy. What can i say... This is Africa!
No comments:
Post a Comment