Sunday, December 6, 2009

Life on the upper west side of Nairobi

After surviving a night with a kenyan horndog in the "slum" I was off to Scripture Mission. Thats a Norwegian christian organization (I think). At least there's mostly Norwegian people here and a Norwegian school for the kids. It was like coming to heaven! I had my own room, clean sheets, running water, a real toilet and a shower. The standard is simple but more than good enough!

That day I had to wake up at 6am at the "African experience guys's" place. We left his place 6.15am and arrived at Scripture Mission 8.30am. It was on the other side of town and traffic here is just terrible. And the roads even worse. It seems like all the 31 million inhabitants have a car, but thats probably not the case... Did I write in last blog that the William, the son of the "African experience guy" actually asked: "Can I call you mummy?" Crazy... well, like father like son!

The reason I came to Scripture Mission in the first place was actually because of another coincidence. A few days before I left I found out my old secondary school teacher was going to Nairobi with his wife 2 days after me to visit his son. So we decided to meet up. His son and wife and 3 sons have been living in Nairobi for more than a year. They work in an orphanage outside town. I met up with this son, Bjørn Kjetil, at lunch the day I arrived and he told me he was actually on his way to the orphanage in a few minutes and that I could join in.

In car he asked me if I could hold a first aid class for the kids. 60 kids from 4 to 16 years old. Of course I said yes! (What could I say!) I just talked about basic things like bleeding, faiting, fractures and stuff that the kids could actually remember. And it went ok! (The snake bite lecture wasnt exactly my strongest one!) After the class I had some balloons, pens and caps I gave out to the kids before we went home.

Saturday I went to a HUGE christmas fair with 20 year old Bardur from the Ferrow Islands and 17 year old Daniel from Iceland. Mostly white rich british kenyans there and it was all way overpriced. So all i ended up buying was a pair of Havaianas... very typical african!! ;-)

And I also managed to steal a hot dog. Fotgot to pay and didnt bother to go back...! After that we went to a big shoppingcenter, bought some overpriced icecream and went to the cinema and saw the craziest movie ever; "Gamer". In the evening I ate tacodinner with the Hellestræ family.



Thats pretty much what I've been up to lately... And I have actually gotten sick. Constantly nauseaus, been throwing up and I have no appetite at all. Got some anti-emetics at the pharmacy, domperidone. As far as I can remember, lactation can be a side-effect... so lets hope i dont start lactating here in Africa! I just hope I get well for the 6 hour bus-ride i have tomorrow. Going to Arusha in Tanzania. I think it must be because of the funky food I ate when I was with the Kenyan dude... From now on I will stick to beans as my source of proteins, meat here is disgusting.
Thats all for now! Stay put!

No comments: